Wednesday, February 11, 2009

One Sicky little Chicky



So it's day three and that means no more sugar in their water (just vitamins and electrolytes at this point) but they do get to try baby grit for the first time! This morning when I woke up, they were all still alive, thankfully. Also, the one Maran which I previously thought was looking pekid seems to have perked up and is doing just fine. However, I have a new concern and I think this one is pretty valid. First thing this morning, one of the Buff Orpingtons (pictured above) had a large amount of waste stuck to her behind. She was just a little too easy to catch so I could clean her off and she didn't protest quite enough for my liking.


(a picture of her behind a few hours after I cleaned her off - tthere's still a lot of manure there, but she can eliminate at least)

Unfortunately, since then I have not seen her eat, drink, or do much besides stand under the light all fluffed up. I have read that that is a sure sign that a chicken is not feeling well. I'm not sure what more I can do for her. I have picked her up and made her drink three times (if you stick their beaks in the water, they instinctively take a gulp) which seems to temporarily perk her up, but not for long. I fear we may lose her. Keep your fingers crossed, but it's not looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment